OWEGO, NY (WIVT/WBGH) – According to the Owego Fire Department, a large fire was extinguished yesterday at Taylor Garbage in Owego.

At around 5:50 a.m. the Fire Department responded to Taylor Garbage on Glenmary Drive for a possible structure fire.

Upon arrival, the fire was “well-established” inside a steel building that contained approximately 25 tons of loose garbage.

Tioga Center, Campville, Southside, Candor, and Apalachin Fire Department crews were requested for mutual aid.

According to Owego Fire, quick action by all departments limited the size of the fire and it was controlled within 1 hour and 30 minutes.

No serious injuries were reported.

Owner Bob Taylor tells NewsChannel 34 that while the cause has not yet been determined, he suspects that it was a lithium battery, which was the cause of a massive fire that destroyed Taylor’s recycling center in Apalachin in early 2020.

Reminder that lithium batteries, which power cell phones, tablets and laptops, should be disposed of with hazardous waste and not thrown away in the regular garbage.

Taylor says the Owego facility was up and running again today.