Fairs, flings and fun runs are among the community events the Susquehanna Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SQSPCA) will host or take part in as the weather turns warmer.
Saturday, April 13 begins with a volunteer appreciation event from 10 a.m. to noon at the shelter. Volunteers and fosters are invited to stop by for coffee, donuts and other goodies in observance of National Volunteer Appreciation Week. Later that same day, Lisa Brown will lead Cat Yoga at the First Baptist Church, 21 Elm St., Cooperstown, beginning at 2 p.m. The suggested donation is $10, and all proceeds go to the shelter. Call (607) 547-9371 for more information.
Preparations for the seventh annual Cider Run, set for Saturday, April 27 at the Fly Creek Cider Mill, are well underway. This year’s event features a 10K run, 5K run, 5K walk, and kids’ fun run, with proceeds to benefit the SQSPCA. Registration, sponsor, and waiver forms can be found at www.sqspca.org and route maps are available at https://www.flycreekcidermill.com/cider-run-7th-annual. The Cider Run will be held rain or shine.
Other events coming up include:
- Friday, April 19 and Friday, May 17: Volunteer Orientation, 6 p.m. Susquehanna SPCA, 4841 St. Hwy. 28, Cooperstown. All are welcome; RSVP not necessary, but appreciated. Kids under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Attendees will receive a guided tour of the facility, learn about shelter operations and explore the different types of volunteer positions available.
- Saturday, April 20: OH-Fest XIII Street Fair, 1-5 p.m. Main Street, Oneonta. Inflatable rides, arts and crafts, food trucks, live music, AND adoptable dogs and kittens!
- Saturday, April 20: Online Kitten Foster Orientation & Information Session, 10 a.m. Kitten season has arrived! Learn all about fostering and find out whether or not it is a good fit for you. For further details and to register, visit www.sqspca.org/foster
- Tuesday, April 30: Animal Yoga, 6:30 p.m. Hunt Union, SUNY Oneonta. De-stress and relax with the SQSPCA. Canine/feline participants to be determined.
- Saturday, May 18: Rotary Club of Cooperstown Spring Fling, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Clark Sports Center, 124 Co. Rd. 52, Cooperstown. Adoptable dogs and kittens; vendors of arts, crafts, food, and drink; live music; more.
- Wednesday, May 22: Otsego County Department of Health Rabies Clinic, 4-6 p.m. Susquehanna SPCA, 4841 St. Hwy. 28, Cooperstown. Free for Otsego County dogs, cats and ferrets. Call the DOH at (607) 547-4230 for information and to register.
- Saturday, May 25: Pet Day Fair at Heritage at The Plains at Parish Homestead, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. 163 Heritage Circle, Oneonta. Details to be announced.
Community members can also meet and greet adoptable companion animals outside of the shelter environment on Saturdays from 12-2 p.m. in the YMCA lobby, 20-26 Ford Ave., Oneonta and from 12-4 p.m. on Sundays at Brandow’s Feed & Seed, 4119 NY-7, Oneonta. Volunteers will share the animals’ characteristics, background information, and any important health concerns as they assist in finding them forever homes.
To learn more about the Susquehanna SPCA and to view available animals, stop by the shelter Tuesday through Saturday from noon to 5 p.m. or visit www.sqspca.org. For more information on upcoming events and volunteer opportunities, call (607) 547-8111.