Report names local Boy Scout leaders accused in sex abuse files

News

NEW YORK (WETM) – An attorney in New York says the Boy Scouts of America has files going all the way back to the 1940s that document allegation of sexual abuse by thousands of scout leaders, including those from our region.

Attorney Jeff Anderson held a press conference this morning and during the conference, he stated the files kept by the Boy Scouts of America were called “Perversion Files” by the organization.

The report names several former Boy Scout leaders from Binghamton, Endicott, Johnson City, and Norwich, among other areas across the Empire State who are allegedly on the “Perversion Files.”

Binghamton: Robert Carson, Troop 24, Troop 166

Binghamton: James Heath, Pack 40

Endicott: Jack Hooper, Troop 234

Johnson City: David Pugh, Troop 104

Norwich: Timothy Ward, Troop 63

Anderson also stated that a witness in a trial earlier in 2019 revealed under oath that nearly eight thousand scout leaders have been accused of sexually abusing more than twelve thousand minors.

The particular interest in New York State is the “Child Protection Act” which takes effect on August 14 and extends the statute of limitations for crimes against children.

While the Boy Scouts may have reported these allegations to law enforcement, Anderson also stated that the organization had a duty to inform the community in which these leaders lived and worked.

A written statement the Boy Scouts of America said they never “Knowingly allowed a sexual predator to work with you.” That mandates any abuse allegation immediately reported to law enforcement.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More Top Stories
More Don't Miss