BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — A Derby woman will spend five years on probation for using her ex-boyfriend’s identity to claim almost $15,000 in unemployment benefits.
Kelly M. Muffoletto, 31 submitted applications to the New York State Department of Labor between June 1, 2020, and December 31, 2020, using her ex-boyfriend’s identity, according to the Erie County District Attorney’s Office.
Muffoletto fraudulently bagged $14,764.88 in benefits, using the cash to purchase hotel rooms, take-out food and a Disney+ subscription, the DA’s Office said.
The 31-year-old pleaded guilty to one count of second-degree identity theft on February 23, 2022. Muffoletto signed a confession to pay back the money she stole to the Department of Labor.
New on WIVB.com
- Governor Hochul applauds Biden for signing gun violence bill
- NY teen accused of impersonating principal, threatening students
- Man holding baby hostage lights apartment on fire in California
- Note on GrubHub order helps rescue alleged rape victim in New York: ‘Please call the police’
- RI police officer on leave after allegedly attacking female political opponent at abortion rally