Dealing with Holiday Stress
The holidays are a happy time for most, but for some this time of the year can cause stress, anxiety and depression. This stress can be caused by financial struggles, less sunlight, and not being able to see family. While the holiday season is all about giving, you should also take some time for self-care.
Here are some ways you can practice self-care this holiday season:
- Stick to your normal routine and get enough sleep
- Get some exercise, even if it’s just a short walk
- Eat and drink in moderation, and don’t drink alcohol if you are feeling down
- Set reasonable expectations and goals for holiday activities like cooking, entertaining, and attending gatherings
- Don’t overextend yourself financially buying presents
Lori Morgan, Director of Community Services encourages “individuals to reach out to Tioga County Mental Hygiene to speak with staff if they are dealing with emotional problems, depression, alcoholism or substance use.” Open Access is available during all clinic hours or appointments can be made. To schedule an appointment please call 607-687-0200 or stop by the HHS building in Owego.
You don’t have to deal with stress this season by yourself. There are many resources available for
Tioga County residents:
Daytime Crisis: 607-687-4000
After Hours Crisis: 607-687-1010
Social Services: 607-687-8300
Veterans’ Services: 607-687-8228
Public Health: 607-687-8600
Suicide Prevention Hotline: 800-273-8255
NYS Child Abuse Hotline: 800-342-3720
From all of us at Tioga County Health & Human Services,
We wish you a Safe, Happy, & Healthy Holiday Season!