Development Assistant – Broome County Council of Churches
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Under general supervision, works in partnership with the Development Director and Council staff/volunteers to advance the ministries of the Broome County Council of Churches (the Council) by creating and refining methods of outreach and engaging with the Council’s community of current and potential donors.
- Creates and produces printed and electronic materials, publications and presentations for all programs of the Council, including but not limited to, the Council’s “Together” newsletter, “FIAV” newsletter, and “Connecting Congregations”.
- Continually updates and reviews all Council publications, proofing for consistency and accuracy of all information. Ensures that publications and business cards are in-stock.
- Produces and mails all Council fund-raising appeals, such as the Summer Appeal, Fall Appeal, Harvest Appeal, Winter Appeal and Annual Appeal.
- Works with the IT Administrator to get accurate and current mailing lists, labels and envelopes.
- Coordinates with the Finance Department to obtain the proper postage and supplies for mailings and ensures prompt payment to outside vendors.
- Works with outside printing companies to get the most competitive pricing when not feasible to print in-house.
- Schedules and coordinates volunteers to help fold and prepare Appeals for mailing prior to deadline.
- Assists in promoting the Council’s mission through various forms of communication including face-to-face, written, electronic and telecommunications.
- Assists with planning and setting up for events sponsored by the Council. Creates, updates and maintains exhibit boards and PowerPoint presentations needed for publicity. Orders giveaways as needed.
- Attends BC3 events, takes photographs and maintains files for publicity. Participates in events and meetings as needed.
- Produces ID badges and business cards for staff and volunteers.
- Acts as primary backup for front desk reception area in absence of Receptionist/Secretary.
- Keeps a spreadsheet of all in memory of (IMO) and in honor of (IHO) donations and send out acknowledgements of donations and ensures they are sent out promptly.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Requires high school diploma or GED, two-year degree preferred.
- Must have an excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel and Publisher and Power Point. Willingness to learn and use Raisers Edge Donor Management System. Skills test will be part of the interviewing process.
- Must be organized and detail-oriented.
- Willingness to learn new skills and at times wear many hats.
- Excellent interpersonal and telephone skills with the ability to operate a multi-line telephone console.
- Good oral and written communication skills necessary.
- Ability to work with limited supervision and meet production goals.
- Ability to represent the Council professionally, work in a team environment, demonstrate flexibility, adaptability and dependability.
- Needs to be able to cope with physical and emotional stressors and demands that are associated with the job and/or the work environment so that acceptable and defined levels of performance are maintained. Must be able to drive, walk, climb stairs and lift up to 25 pounds as needed.
- Positive “can-do” attitude is required. We value a great work culture.
Works in both community and office settings. Must be able positively interact with diverse populations for long periods of time. When required, needs to be able to spend significant amounts of time in front of a computer terminal.