Noxious Odor Causes City Hall Evacuation

Published 03/21 2014 04:53PM

Updated 03/24 2014 08:46AM

Binghamton City Hall was briefly evacuated this morning because of noxious fumes coming from work being done in Mayor Rich David's office suite.

David says employees were given an extended lunch hour and City Hall was closed to the public from about 10:30 to 11:45.

The fumes came from paint that was being used on the counter top in the Mayor's reception area. After consulting with the Fire Chief and Personnel Director, David decided to clear the building. The fire department brought in fans to quickly dissipate the odors.

David says $3,000 is being spent on painting, new rug and the counter tops. He says it's not a renovation, but meant to address safety concerns with the old carpet which was worn and a tripping hazard.

Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.