Government Relations and Public Policy Specialist
Reports to: President/CEO
Agency Background: The Greater Binghamton Chamber of Commerce (GBCC) is a nonprofit organization with over 800 business and nonprofit members, serving the region of Broome County, New York. We help organizations of all sizes connect, collaborate, and succeed through education, advocacy, networking, and community involvement. Our aim is to support the existing local business community and the attraction of new businesses to the region through member-driven programs and services, the development of strategic community partnerships and effective political advocacy. We help to provide organizations with the tools, resources, and an environment for success, empowering growth. We have several affiliated organizations that promote economic growth through tourism and education including Visit Bing, Greater Binghamton Educational Outreach Program and Southern Tier Welcome Center.
Position Overview: The Government Relations and Public Policy Specialist works to ensure a proactive and strong partnership with local and statewide political representatives, both elected and appointed, and community stakeholders regarding Chamber public policy priorities. Responsible for programs relating to local, state and federal government issues as well as major community issues. Researches and analyzes public policy issues and legislation impacting Chamber members and develops position statements and responses on behalf of the Chamber.
- Plan and implement the Chamber’s policy and advocacy strategies, a detailed process for the policy and advocacy model, and the related framework for the Chamber’s policy related committees
- Directs the implementation of strategic position-related initiatives and programs to achieve a positive profile of the Chamber among select audiences and influencers
- Continuously presents the Chamber's legislative policies and viewpoints to local, state and national governmental units and agencies both verbally and in written form
- Work to ensure staff and Chamber Board understand the key policy issues facing business through regular engagement of policy committees and members through a number of different primary data gathering approaches. This may include surveys, roundtables, one-on-one meetings and focus groups
- Staffs all Chamber Government Affairs committees, and develops volunteer recruitment and retention strategies
- Partners with Chamber volunteers to develop as wide an acquaintanceship as possible with key members of governmental units so that immediate contact can be made to present chamber viewpoints on issues as they develop
- Continuously studies the local and statewide political picture so that any actions contemplated by the Chamber may be evaluated in the light of the political situation
- Keeps abreast of all proposed legislation on the local, state and national level to supply information on this legislation to members
- Contributes position-related articles and content for Chamber newsletter, emails, blogs, and newspaper
- Works closely with Communications Specialist to achieve communication and outreach goals
- Based on research and analysis of potential impacts on the business community, develops recommendations and directs Chamber responses to legislation and regulatory actions
- Develops and plans events designed to engage member participation in government affairs, advocacy and workforce development initiatives.
- Participates in coalitions of other business groups and associations that have shared interests with the Chamber
- Develop, implement, monitor and evaluate policy formulation that yields maximum impact scan, scope, research, develop, iterate and formulate our policy positions and solutions.
- Other duties as assigned by senior management
- Bachelor’s degree, preferred Public Policy, Business, Economics or related field
- 4 + years relevant work experience (advanced education may compensate for some work experience)
- Strong proficiency with MS Office Suite programs
- Very strong written and verbal skills required
- Strong organizational, analytical, problem solving, teamwork and communication skills required
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment with proven results
- Working knowledge of state and local government processes
- Ability to learn and successfully utilize a membership database software program
- Ability to work early morning, evening or weekend events and meetings as required
Position is full-time, salaried, includes company 401k contribution, paid holidays, personal time and vacation, also includes health insurance, dental insurance, long-term and short-term disability and life insurance.
To apply for the position, submit resume and cover letter via email Attn: Jennifer Conway, President and CEO, email: firstname.lastname@example.org